Environmental Stewardship of Manufacturing Operations
Stellantis endeavors to reduce our environmental footprint while contributing to the Company’s strategic plan. Our actions also aim to preserve the environment as well as the communities in which we operate. By embracing a commitment to sustainable innovation, a lean, smart and increasingly digital operating model, and the direct participation of employees in the pursuit of excellence, we consistently improve the environmental performance of our manufacturing operations. The Stellantis Environment and Energy Policy outlines our commitments and contributions.
We embed Corporate Social Responsibility into our business practices as part of our active environmental stewardship. Our initiatives include:
- using alternative and renewable energy sources;
- supporting the purchase of energy-efficient products and services;
- designing manufacturing processes for improvements in energy performance;
- reducing water withdrawal and reusing water;
- avoiding waste and promoting recycling;
- reducing emissions by using materials that have less pollutants;
- promoting sustainable materials and maximizing material reuse and recycling;
- continuing to protect biodiversity by prohibiting new operations on protected areas;
- driving carbon reduction of our suppliers; and,
- providing education and training for employees and suppliers.
The Company’s industrial manufacturing divisions contribute to a decarbonized economy and are working to support our carbon net zero by 2038 target. The activities and performance are focused on energy and climate-related aspects of Stellantis’ manufacturing facilities in addition to offices, warehouses, retail operations and other stationary operations. From the vehicle design through each stage of the vehicle life cycle, Stellantis works to limit the environmental footprint of its products and activities.
Photovoltaic park, Stellantis Zaragoza plant, Spain
Environmental protection and energy performance are important company objectives and are monitored closely. We have established a CO2 steering committee to enable energy efficiency projects as an active investment toward greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction. Stellantis has completed a thorough review of its energy consumption and energy efficiency across the Company. Energy management systems and emission control plans are developed and implemented in Stellantis plants to identify the lines of action necessary to improve their energy performance. We share and incorporate best practices in terms of technology, systems, applications, processes and behaviors between plants to minimize cost and time to implementation.
Learn more about our industry-leading decarbonization strategy
We work to promote environmental responsibility among our workforce, dealers, suppliers, customers and local communities by fostering a culture of environmental stewardship and by engaging in dialogue and activities surrounding environmental conservation. The responsibility for protecting the environment rests with everyone in Stellantis.
Here are our commitments to environmental stewardship:
- Contribute to a decarbonized economy with the goal of achieving carbon net zero emissions within our manufacturing activities by working to reduce our energy consumption and increasing the use of renewable energy.
- Strive for zero volatile organic compound emissions through improvements of treatment processes. We are implementing processes to limit and reduce air emissions, including cleaner painting processes, the post-processing of residual emissions, noise and odor level monitoring and substitution of hazardous substances with non-hazardous ones where possible.
- Design industrial processes that allow minimal use of raw materials and strive for 100% waste recycling in local loops of circular economy. Our waste management processes seek to avoid and reduce the generation of waste in our operational processes. Landfilling is used only when recycling or recovery is not possible.
- Promote responsible water stewardship to strive for zero water withdrawal by water recycling in industrial activities. Where our plants are in areas with identified water stress, we are committed to implementing extra water management measures.
Water treatment facility, Stellantis Gliwice Plant, Poland
- Ensure the development of biodiversity on our sites by preserving natural habitats. Even though the protection of biodiversity is a complex process and the impact of the Company’s manufacturing operations on biodiversity is relatively limited, Stellantis has implemented dedicated measures aimed at further minimizing this issue.
- Take a leadership role in decarbonization by creating the Circular Economy Business Unit - committed to bringing savings up to 80% of materials and up to 50% of energy - as our contribution to a sustainable future.
Biodiversity program, Stellantis Goiana Plant, Brazil
We are committed to taking actions that preserve the wellbeing and wealth of our communities by leading or promoting actions to better integrate our facilities in our neighborhoods and social context.
For additional information regarding CSR issues including activities related to carbon footprint, energy management, wise use of materials in the vehicle life cycle (including product recycling), industrial environmental footprint, optimization of material cycles in manufacturing processes (including waste), control of industrial discharges and nuisances, sustainable water management in manufacturing, and protection of biodiversity, refer to the Stellantis CSR Report.
ISO 14001 Certifications
Stellantis manufacturing plants and certain non-manufacturing sites maintain ISO 14001-certified environmental management systems. The ISO 14001 standard provides a globally recognized foundation for the development of environmental management systems to achieve environmental objectives, manage compliance obligations and improve environmental performance. List of ISO Certificates for plants and sites by region.